The Three Mariners is the oldest pub in Lancaster. Steeped in history, in a Grade II listed building dating back to the 15th century, it is one of only two sites in Britain with an original gravity-fed cellar. This pub has seen it all: from the closure of the Castle Priory by Henry VIII in 1539, to the Jacobite uprisings in the 1700s. The pub has also played an important role in the city’s history. Led from the castle dungeons through a rumoured hidden passage, prisoners were brought here for a ‘last drink’ with their families, and during The Pendle Witch Trials of 1612, where Lancaster earned its nickname as ‘The Hanging Town’ and the dungeons of Lancaster Castle were overflowing, The Three Mariners, then known as The Red Lion, would even hold those awaiting trial in its first floor cellar.
These days there is a much more cheery atmosphere with warm and welcoming hospitality, a menu of hearty British cuisine and a lengthy list of craft beers.